Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
Nothing compares to the tantalizing scent of beef stew simmering in the slow cooker on a chilly winter day. If you’re looking for an easy, delicious recipe, we have you covered! Throw this stew together on a leisurely Sunday, or prep it on a weekday morning so you can come home to a hot meal. It serves eight to 10, so you can feed guests or freeze leftovers.
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon paprika, plus more as a topping
- 2 teaspoons salt, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1/3 cup flour, plus more as a coating
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 1 pound small white potatoes, halved
- 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms, halved
- 3 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth (low sodium recommended)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, chopped
- Sour cream as a garnish
- Toss beef chuck with paprika, salt and Coat in flour and shake off the excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add beef and cook without stirring for 3 minutes, or until the meat begins to brown. Continue cooking, turning the beef as needed, for 3 minutes more, or until most sides are browned.
- Transfer the beef to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add potatoes, mushrooms, carrots and Stir to combine.
- Place the skillet back on the stove and heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add tomato paste and stir for about 1 minute, or until it turns a brick-red color.
- Add flour and wine, and whisk to remove most lumps. Add beef broth, thyme, caraway (if using), 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Simmer and whisk for about 4 minutes, or until smooth and thick.
- Pour sauce into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Before serving, season with more salt and pepper and stir in the parsley. Once served, top individual bowls with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of paprika.
The beef chuck is unquestionably the most important ingredient in beef stew. Find delectable cuts of beef and other quality meats at our retail store in Redding, CA. Check out our weekly specials, or call R&R Quality Meats & Seafood at (530) 241-7770 with any questions you have!