The Nutritional Benefits of Eating Grass-Fed Beef
You might be wondering what all the fuss about grass-fed beef is, and what makes it better than regular beef. Many of us don’t think about what the animals we’re eating today were fed yesterday, but it’s worth considering.
Most of the beef you find in grocery stores today is from cows who were fed a grain diet. That means they mostly eat corn and soy, but the truth is that many cows are fed whatever is cheapest that can cause them to gain weight.
According to USDA standards, grass-fed animals must have continuous access to pasture and not be fed grain or grain-based products. Grass-fed beef has several nutritional benefits including containing significantly more omega-3 fatty acids, higher amounts of vitamins A and E, and cancer-fighting antioxidants.
- Potentially Fights Cancer – Several animal studies have found that conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) has the ability to fight cancer. This powerful polyunsaturated fatty acid is much more prevalent in grass-fed beef than grain-fed beef.
- Reduced Risk of Heart Disease – Grass-fed beef has less overall fat and unhealthy fat than grain-fed beef. It also has lower levels of cholesterol and higher levels of omega-3s and vitamins that fight heart disease.
- Improved Blood Sugar – The healthy fats contained in grass-fed beef are essential to keeping your blood sugar at a healthy level. CLA has been proven to improve insulin sensitivity and can help ward off diabetes in both adults and children.
- Fewer Hormones and Antibiotics – Grass-fed beef is more likely to be free of hormones and antibiotics. Grain-fed cows are given hormones to increase their size to produce more meat. This has contributed to antibiotic resistance in humans and promotes the growth of bacteria such as E. coli.
- Safety Concerns – Consumer Reports conducted research showing that grass-fed meat is safer than grain-fed beef and has lowered risks of food poisoning in addition to fewer antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
R&R Quality Meats & Seafood features organic 100% grass-fed, grass finished beef as well as all natural grass-fed, grain finished beef. Give us a call at 530-241-7770 for more information.