Try This Great Dinner Recipe for Steak and Brassicas with Red Wine Sauce
If you’re looking for a hearty and delicious dinner recipe that will be a big hit, this pairing of steak and brassicas with a red wine sauce is a perfect choice. If you aren’t familiar with brassicas, they are cruciferous vegetables and include baby cauliflower. This recipe takes about 45 minutes and serves four to six.
- Two 1-pound hanger steaks
- 1 ½ pounds multicolored brassicas cut into 1-inch florets
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small shallots, minced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup red wine
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss brassicas and thyme with ¼ cup olive oil in a large rimmed baking sheet and generously season with salt and pepper. Spread into a layer and scatter 2 tablespoons of butter on top. Roast in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden and tender.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in large cast-iron skillet. Season steaks with salt and pepper all over. Cook steaks in a skillet over moderately high heat. Turn often until a thermometer reads 120 degrees in thickest part, about 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer steaks to carving board and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Do not wipe out the skillet and use to cook shallots and garlic. Cook over moderate heat and stir until softened for 2 minutes. Add wine and cook for 3 minutes, scraping up any browned bits until wine almost evaporates. Add in stock and cook for about 2 minutes until slightly reduced. Remove from heat and add remaining butter, whisking gradually until emulsified, and season with salt and pepper. Carve steaks against the grain and serve with brassicas and sauce.
R&R Quality Meats & Seafood has the best cuts of steak for all your recipes. Check out our weekly specials or give us a call at 530-241-7770.