If you’re looking for a hearty and delicious dinner recipe that will be a big hit, this pairing of steak and brassicas with a red wine sauce is a perfect choice. If you aren’t familiar with brassicas, they are cruciferous vegetables and include baby cauliflower. This recipe takes about 45 minutes and serves four to six.
- Two 1-pound hanger steaks
- 1 ½ pounds multicolored brassicas cut into 1-inch florets
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small shallots, minced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup red wine
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss brassicas and thyme with ¼ cup olive oil in a large rimmed baking sheet and generously season with salt and pepper. Spread into a layer and scatter 2 tablespoons of butter on top. Roast in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden and tender.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in large cast-iron skillet. Season steaks with salt and pepper all over. Cook steaks in a skillet over moderately high heat. Turn often until a thermometer reads 120 degrees in thickest part, about 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer steaks to carving board and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Do not wipe out the skillet and use to cook shallots and garlic. Cook over moderate heat and stir until softened for 2 minutes. Add wine and cook for 3 minutes, scraping up any browned bits until wine almost evaporates. Add in stock and cook for about 2 minutes until slightly reduced. Remove from heat and add remaining butter, whisking gradually until emulsified, and season with salt and pepper. Carve steaks against the grain and serve with brassicas and sauce.
R&R Quality Meats & Seafood has the best cuts of steak for all your recipes. Check out our weekly specials or give us a call at 530-241-7770.
When you’re trying to eat a healthy diet, seafood is a wonderful addition. Full of nutrients that promote health in myriad ways, seafood is also easy to incorporate into weekly meals and comes in a wide variety of tastes and textures to please any palate. Need some reasons to eat more seafood? We can name quite a few.
- The nutrients in seafood are plentiful. Depending on what kind of seafood you prefer, you’ll reap the benefits of B vitamins, vitamin D, vitamin A, and Omega-3 fatty acids. These nutrients provide a wide range of benefits, from healthy bone growth to better vision, to a healthier immune system. Seafood also boosts your metabolism and can improve your reproductive health.
- Your heart will thank you. Seafood is not only low in saturated fat and high in protein, but also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids are known for their benefits in heart health because they significantly reduce the risk of cardiovascular issues like arrhythmias, heart attacks, and strokes.
- Seafood boosts your mood. Recent studies have shown that eating more seafood, thus consuming more omega-3 fatty acids, reduces the risk of depression and promotes a more positive outlook.
- Omega 3s are good for your joints . Eating seafood can reduce morning stiffness and soothe tender joints associated with arthritis.
- Seafood helps make healthy babies. Eating fish promotes healthy fetal growth and development, is good for the development of the nervous system, and helps reduce the risk of preterm labor.
- Your brain will thrive on a seafood diet . Fish is known as brain food and with good reason! The omega-3s in seafood can lower the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, help promote healthy brain growth in babies and children and boost cognition in older women.
- Seafood gives your skin a glow . When you eat seafood, it helps your skin to keep its moisture. Perhaps even better, omega-3 fatty acids help protect your skin from UV rays, and fish oil combats acne.
- Eating seafood is good for your eyes . Fish and shellfish can boost your night vision, and people who consume omega-3 fatty acids have fewer incidents of age-related macular degeneration, which can cause vision loss.
R&R Quality Meats & Seafood has always offered top quality and wide variety; with our newest venture, R&R Quality Seafood, we bring the freshest, tastiest seafood options to our customers. Committed to customer service, we offer seafood that’s never frozen, and work hard to give you what you want when you want it. If you’re looking for the highest quality seafood, we have everything from Alaskan salmon, Pacific cod, and Hawaiian mahi-mahi, to a variety of shrimp and prawns, and plenty of live shellfish including clams, oysters, and mussels. To learn more about all that R&R Quality Meats & Seafood has to offer, visit our website or call (530) 241-7770 today.